Scholarships have been established at Parkland College for women who want to resume their interrupted education. The Parkland scholarships are named in honor of Janet Southwood & Bette Van Es, Amy Kummerow, and Phyllis Cline. These scholarships are not available to women who have already received a Bachelor degree.
Southwood—Van Es, Amy Kummerow, and Phyllis Cline AAUW scholarships
Our AAUW branch awards one $1,000 Southwood—Van Es scholarship, one $1,000 Amy Kummerow scholarship, and one $1,000 Phyllis Cline scholarship to Parkland students based on the following guidelines:
- Be female.
- Be a resident of Community College District 505 of the State of Illinois.
- Have experienced an interruption in formal education of at least two years.
- Be enrolled in either a full-time or part-time academic program.
- Have a demonstrated financial need.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 based on a 4.0 scale.
For information on AAUW National Scholarships, click on AAUW Scholarships.
CU AAUW Scholarship Committee: Elaine Peppers and Bette Van Es, co-chair; Members include Laura Keller, Jenny Harvey, Sallie Miller, and Deborah Richie.
The Champaign-Urbana branch provides a $600 scholarship for a University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign woman college student to attend the AAUW National Conference for College Women Student Leaders (NCCWSL) which is held in the Washington D.C. area in the spring.